From the beginning stages of the design process of the infrastructure of the lodge, we tried to create a design that does not require overuse of land, this in order not to invade or damage the primary forest ecosystems and the life that inhabits therein. Because their owners have always shown great respect and concern for the environment.
Ecological Blue Flag / EBF in English (BAE abbreviation Spanish)
Trogón lodge has been prized with the BAE in 2013 through 2015 in the category of micro-Watersheds in the area of the Río Savegre. Trogón Lodge has an approximate length of 1,000 meters of river from the Río Savegre alongside its property, considered one of the cleanest in Central America.
Within the registered area can be mentioned as reference points the two main entrances to the lodge, being one of the most important, since it is practically the first contact with some type of infrastructure and possibly first sources of contamination from its source down river.
The geography is typical of the region, very broken, and similar to the surrounding region near the Cerro de La Muerte mountains, with approximately 90% of the primary forest being protected, making it ahaven for all natural life.
Within the lodge and throughout the river, there are different “zones & forms” of life, which can highlight the tropical rainforest, also called higrofilites, which is all life that lives in awhere there is large amounts of moisture present.
Among the most noticeable species of the region, we can mention a few:
mammals like the tapir, puma, jaguar, wild bores, many bird species like the resplendent Quetzal (mocinno pharomachrus), black guan (Chamaepetes unicolor) and emerald toucan (Aulacorhynchus prasinus), in flora, oak (Quercus s.p.) and the mountain aguacatillo (Ocotea Tenera).
Certification for touristic sustainability
Grupo Mawamba has decided to opt for the certification for sustainable tourism, as we have always operated with different environmental practices of great importance.
Our commitment is to work together to clearly reach our objective and or reduce any negative impact that could be caused the natural resources, the local culture o society. The lodge is committed to use the natural resources adequately for mutual benefit for the company and local community.
That is why we implemented an Environmental Management System (EMS), (Sistema de Gestión Ambiental / SGA) in Spanish, which set as its main objective to convert the concept of sustainability into practical and necessary in the context of the tourism competitiveness of the country, with a view to improving the way we think that natural and social resources are used, the idea is encourage the active participation of local communities and provide new support for the competitiveness of the business sector.
It is considered a must educate the tourist environmental impacts, so in the informative guide for the host, invite the customer to join this program through the following actions:
- Turn off the light when leaving the room or take advantage of natural light
- Use the heating only when necessary
- Re-use towels
- Being involved in sustainable programs that the lodge offers
- Recycle solid waste
- Visit national parks or nature reserves near the region
- Do not feed the animals
- Do not remove plants
- Maintain silence in nature reserves to not scare the animals
- In consideration for non-smokers, you are asked to respect the non-smoking areas.
The three main pillars to achieve sustainability
Trogón Lodge is aware of the fact that it produces an impact on the environment and society, as a pressing need, the management implements within its priorities, Environmental Management System (EMS); oriented in the reduction and mitigation of all environmental and social impacts that the company may produce as a result of their activities.
The administration makes public our commitment to this environmental policy, which becomes the starting point to guide all actions of the organization and likewise to define its goals and objectives towards the attainment of good practices concerning sustainability of the environment, the economy and society.
Trogón Lodge assumes the following commitments and ensures conduct and monitoring and constant updating of the same, this in order to achieve continuous improvement of company performance with the environment.
- Natural Resources: are used in a sustainable manner, promoting its conservation and rational use; the way that most actions comply with applicable environmental legislation.
- Economical Activities: will be viable in the long term and its benefits will be distributed to all involved in an equitable manner.
- Social-Cultural Authenticity: activities, products and services produced by the lodge will be oriented to disseminate and preserve the countries cultural diversity.
Environmental policy Trogón Lodge
Upper management is aware and concerned about both positive and negative effects that may cause its tourist activity in the community, environment and the economy is heading towards a sustainable model for growth in balance with the environment around us and at the same time subsist in time.
In line with this policy, these actions have been implemented: participate in sustainable programs as Ecological Blue Flag (BAE) and certification for Sustainable Tourism (CST), to convert our definition of sustainability into something real. Trogón Lodge makes public awareness of its commitment with the following environmental practices:
- To protect the valuable forest reserve, which has primary and secondary forest which has been reforested during the past 10 years.
- The construction area of the lodge, does not exceed 10% of the total size of the farm, so that you can protect the surrounding area, and construction is concentrated in one particular area. Therefore, if there is the need for growth, in the future we will continue with this growth pattern.
- Protect Río Savegre from contamination that may affect it.
- Planting trees that attract wildlife.
- Instead of using contaminating herbicides, use natural repellents.
- Recycle all solid waste that is generated from the lodge’s daily operation
- Use of raw materials more than 50% of organic produce grown by ourselves for the restaurant.
- Handle organic waste for and create composting material.
- Consume, as much as possible, local products such as honey, fruits, and vegetables, among others.
- Recycle cooking oil, to convert it into biodiesel
- Use only cleaning products and cosmetics that are biodegradable.
- Re-use all paper possible.
- Reduce consumption of water and electricity.
- Choose, whenever possible, providers who use our green philosophy.
- Guide our operations, employees and customers to comply with the law applicable to the country.
- Comply with environmental legislation for Costa Rica.
- Follow up on all above issues to achieve all the goals and objectives we have set ourselves and continue to growing.